Monday, August 22, 2016

Do You Want To Play A Game?

Wow, it's been a VERY long time since I last posted to this blog. What can I say? S#!t Happens!

Things have changed over the years and I'm now into gaming - Board Games, RPG (Dungeons & Dragons) games and others that strike my fancy.

I'll try posting more often to talk about the games I've been playing and asking for feedback, tips and advice. Feel free to share your gaming stories as well.

So to get right down to it. 


I've started collecting Board Games and RPGs. I play the games I collect, so it's not strictly as a "collector' in the postage stamp or baseball card sense. For Board Games, I've discovered Kickstarter as a great place to buy (back) some very interesting games.

The most recent game I acquired via Kickstarter is In The Name of Odin. As the name implies, this is a Viking themed game but it's not a cut-throat PvP type of game but rather a Euro-style worker placement/resource management game. It's very enjoyable with beautiful, evocative artwork. I've only played it one time so far but look forward to many more enjoyable gaming sessions with this one.



Prior to In The Name Of Odin, I was able to purchase Dawn of the Zeds as a bonus for backing another Kickstarter project (more on that in a future post). Previously, this strategy game had only solitaire mode but the 3rd Edition introduced Co-Op play. I've had several sessions of Dawn of the Zeds so far with my sons and they keep asking to play again, so I'm sure we'll have more sessions to report in the near future.



How about some Dungeons & Dragons?


I've also found eBay to be a great resource in acquiring older, out of print versions of D&D. I've been able to find affordable copies in good condition that I am very satisfied with.

I've purchased or won bids for the Basic and Expert D&D rules sets. I like the simplicity of these earlier versions of the game compared to the most recent versions which seem to want to replicate video games and ensure characters never die.



Using the Basic rules set from 1981, my sons and I have just started playing Palace of the Silver Princes. This is the one by Jean Wells that was recalled due to the suggestive artwork and monsters.


I've also purchased the Tales of the Lance adventure boxed set from the AD&D 2nd Edition Dragonlance Campaign Setting. The copy I bought is in very good condition with unpunched cardboard characters and adventure cards. I'm reading the first Dragonlance Trilogy right now and am looking forward to 'playing the novels' with this adventure in the near future.


I'll share more details of my gameplay experiences with these and other games that I've collected in future posts.

If you are a gamer, what games to you enjoy? Please leave a comment.

No comments: